This past week, Mr. W and I moved to a new apartment. Kind of. He used to live here -- always with several roommates, and had converted the place from a 2 bedroom to a 4 bedroom (basically took away the living room). He moved out when we got married and for 4 months we were living in my 500 sq ft studio apartment. Fun! Healthy for newlyweds to always literally be on top of each other, right?
So when the lease on his place came up for renewal, we took it and kicked out the roommates. Took down the walls and now we have a huge apartment! The only way to afford this is for him to give up his office and work from the 2nd bedroom, but we gain so much that it's worth it.
NYC real estate is a mess. To get an apt, you have to have good credit and prove you make enough to afford it (40X the monthly rent). So while I don't love this place -- it's super old (=bad fixtures) and has zero amenities (yes, I totally got used to having a doorman the past 2 years) and isn't in a great neighborhood (basically Harlem) -- we would never be able to get a similar place now. And this being a 2 bedroom instead of a 1 bedroom (all we'd be approved for), we get a bigger kitchen and a 2nd bathroom!
This whole process was stressful -- first we had to make sure I have a job for next year (which I do, but no contract yet!), then deal with my old landlord and his, then actually move. But now we are here, and just need to finish unpacking! It's nice to have more than one room, although we are pretty much in the same one all the time. And yes, there is room for a baby. So if I could just actually ovulate, we could get moving on that too!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment