I read a lot. Average of 1 book/week, although sometimes more with my longer commute (30 minutes on a bus each way, give or take a few minutes). Sometimes less, if my "Entertainment Weekly" and "Real Simple" arrive on the same day.
I've read two books over the past 4 days that I thought I'd share. They were both very enjoyable.
The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant by Jean Twenge
I wish I had read this book a year ago. I am very much an impatient woman (IW) -- I got my education, started my career, waited for the right guy, but NOW I NEED TO BE PREGNANT RIGHT THIS MINUTE THANK YOU VERY MUCH. In addition, I am very much a statistics person -- I teach our residents how to analyze medical literature and have a reputation for "disliking" every study b/c there are typically so many faults with them.
On both of these points, I felt like she was writing the book specifically for me. She covers the bases -- charting, fertility monitoring, medications, treatments, etc. But she does it in a humorous way. Then she uses her own background in statistics to examine a lot of concepts that get tossed around in the online circles -- like supplements, and timing your BD'ing to get a certain gender baby -- and proves why they are all wrong. She even shows you where the data came from that says how long it will take you to get pregnant -- from the 1700's!
I also really happened to like her chapter on miscarriage. Again, I felt like it spoke directly to me.
Had I read her book earlier in this journey, I probably would have done a few things differently.
#1) Stopped my OCP's sooner and started temping before we were TTC.
-- However, I've mentioned this before, and I'm not sure I actually would have done this. It was really really nice not having to worry about getting my period around the wedding or honeymoon. I did start taking vitamins a long time ago. And my diet was pretty healthy before the wedding, just not for the past few months. I'm back on the healthy diet, though, so hoping that helps.
#2) I would have bought a fertility monitor right way.
-- Although I think I've been able to pin down my "fertile window" fairly accurately each month with good temperature shifts and physical changes, and I did try the OPK's without any success (never got a positive, even the month of my BFP), I think the monitor would have been helpful. Especially this cycle! My temps are super wacky, I have no idea when I ovulated. Needless to say, I've ordered one now. Will be here on Friday, plenty of time to spare before next cycle.
#3) I wouldn't have wasted money on things like Vitex and Evening Primrose Oil.
-- Granted, I started the supplements the same cycle as my BFP -- but definitely too soon to say they had any effect. She very clearly shows you why those things don't work. I'm not going to mess with them anymore.
Baby Bumps by Amy Sprenger
This is a memoir by a mommy blogger, centered around her first pregnancy when she was put on bedrest at 20 weeks. I actually didn't mind the pregnancy aspect of this book b/c she doesn't dwell on getting pregnant or the first trimester (other than to say how she got pregnant on her first try). But she is very funny, and I see a lot of myself in her attempts to use humor in serious situations. I read this book between leaving work today and now -- granted, it was an hour commute home and I read it after I got here. But quick read, and it was cheap on my Nook. I need to check out her blog now.
*****************
Want any non-fertility related good books? My favorite from this summer was Gone Girl, I highly recommend and might have to re-read pretty soon! The explanation won't do it justice, but it alternates being narrated by a woman who disappears and her husband. Also loved Shadow of Night, which is the sequel to A Discover of Witches. The first book blends science (DNA!) with fantasy (witches, vampires, demons, oh my!). The sequel takes place in Elizabethan England. They are both fun and I can't wait for the 3rd in the triology. Also try Defending Jacob, a book from the perspective of a dad/DA whose son is accused of murder.
Visiting from ICLW and am going to download Gone Girl...I keep hearing about it! Thanks for the recommendation!
ReplyDeleteCome back after you've read it so we can discuss!
DeleteHey there, thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hi. I am always looking for good book recommendations so I will have to give this one a go.
ReplyDeleteHello from ICLW! I too am an avid reader. I am on the Hold List at my library for Gone Girl. I'm 143 out of 452. It is going to be a while. The best book I've read in a while was Buddha in the Attic. The style is a bit unconventional, but I thought it was extremely powerful. Also, I loved Discovery of Witches. Can't wait for the movies.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to look for Buddha. Thanks :-)
DeleteBoth sound like great reads. And I'm really looking forward to read the follow up to Discovery of Witches. I'm on the list at the library, but it will be a while yet. :)
ReplyDeleteICLW #7