this is the story of trying to go from a wonderful couple to a wonderful family, and all the ups and downs in between

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Rainbows and shit

In the world of **fertility, a baby you conceive after a loss (the storm, if you will) is a "rainbow baby." The amazing miracle of beauty that follows the shitty thunderstorm.

I hate this terminology. I don't want a "rainbow baby," I want a real-life, 100% true, no additives or preservatives, take-home baby.

However, I have a friend, B, who told me (soon after we just met our freshman year of college) that her mother had a miscarriage 2 months before she got pregnant with B. From riding Space Mountain at Disneyland, actually. But her point was that B -- in all her wonder and glory -- wouldn't exist if the miscarriage had never happened. (I think the story was told in an effort to promote "good things come from bad things," probably related to a boy or something).

This thought is actually somehow reassuring to me. When I do get pregnant again (not "if," but "when"), and have a healthy baby, it will be a baby that I never would have had if I didn't miscarry.  The embryo from my loss was never meant to be -- even without testing, I like to assume it was never viable.  But it served a purpose, in enabling me to have the child I will one day have.

Today it is 3 weeks and 2 days since I knew I was having a miscarriage.  I knew I was pregnant for 3 weeks and 3 days.  By this weekend, I will have dealt with my loss longer than I dealt with being pregnant.  That is actually shocking to me, since I feel like the miscarriage happened yesterday and that I was pregnant for a long time.

The saddest part to me about having a loss with my first pregnancy is that the shiny, magical, incredible feeling of being pregnant will never happen to me again.  When I get pregnant again, I will be stressed out from the very beginning -- waiting to get blood results and ultrasounds, hoping that this time I have symptoms to reassure me that all's well, checking every time I pee for any signs of spotting. I won't be downloading pregnancy apps and signing up for bump email updates. I won't be tracking as my embryo goes from a poppy seed to a blueberry.  Until I at least make it past where I was this time, I probably won't be able to even take a deep breath.

Doesn't mean everything was glory and amazing the first time -- remember, I'm superstitious, and I've seen all the bad things that can happen with a pregnancy. I wasn't planning to tell anyone until 9 weeks (mom) and 13 weeks (everyone else). I wasn't planning to have one single baby item in our home until after the baby was born healthy.  But now it'll be even more severe. I don't even want to think about it.

Dark and stormy roads ahead, for sure.  I am a firm believer in rainbows in general -- I always look for one after a storm and say the blessing that reminds us of G-d's covenant when I find one. But I just can't refer to any subsequent baby as a rainbow. It'll just be mine. For keeps.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, and am wishing you all the best for the future. We're very early and I'm terrified that something will happen.. but we're just taking it one day at a time, which I'm sure you are too. Big hugs from us. x

    ReplyDelete