So even at nearly 11 weeks, and able to find a heartbeat in under a minute on my home Doppler, I'm having a hard time getting excited about this pregnancy. The happiness/optimism/excitement tends to come in spurts -- like yesterday when Mr. W and I took an afternoon walk and were watching some kids play on a playground nearby. He was asking how old a kid has to be to go in the sandbox, and was doing the calculations in his head to figure out how long it'll be before we are those parents. At times like that I do think to myself, "Wow, before it's summer again I'm going to have an actual baby of my own." And I get excited.
But a lot of the time, I'm still mourning the baby that will never be -- the one whom we would have met in March, not May. I'm mourning how far along I'd be in my pregnancy -- 19 weeks already! Almost halfway. I also sometimes mourn all the months when we had BFN's and what that could have been. Last night, some friends of ours came over and we ordered pizza/watched a movie. She is 39 weeks pregnant. They are the ones who started TTC the same month we did -- and got pregnant right away. The one who said her doc remarked that she must be "super fertile." I haven't seen her since July, when I was pregnant the first time. I was excited then and it was hard to hide it from her. Then I had the loss, and I couldn't stand to be around them. She's been trying to make plans with us for a while so I finally gave in, and it was fine. Mr. W had a hard time keeping his mouth closed so I'm sure when I do tell them, she'll say "I had a hunch." (He started telling them how I wouldn't let him ride his bike b/c it could affect sperm count, and they were talking about their childbirth class and he asked if we were going to do one.) Anyway, it was still more sad than happy being with them. I could be due next week, if I were "super fertile" like she was! Or do in the next couple months. Or on March 15th. Argh. Doesn't help that she's a super-cute pregnant person, with this awesome bump and not a trace of fat anywhere else on her body. (She is having a boy, which upholds that old wives' tale.)
But here's the thing -- I AM pregnant. And I'm due on 5/14/13. And that's a pretty exciting thing, right? And I will get to experience everything I'm supposed to experience. Just not when I thought I would -- but at the right time. Curly is growing, and moving, and doing everything that s/he's supposed to be doing. My body hasn't - yet - failed me this time around. I have no reason to think that it would, right? At some point, I will just start being a happy pregnant lady and stop being in mourning for the loss. I know it. I'm just not there yet.
I have never had a loss but I can't imagine how hard it is to get passed a loss and enjoy a healthy pregnancy. :( You ARE pregnant and it is scary but try to enjoy it <3 I had a doppler and it was my savior until around 20 weeks (and then their HBs started to sound different and it made me panic - and I was able to feel the babies so it was a relief).
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read your updates :)
Kayla
ICLW #59
Hi from ICLW. Sorry about your loss but I am excited for you with this pregnancy. I hope it goes smoothly.
ReplyDeletethe healing process is long and it is very hard to let go of the worries after a loss. One step at a time. The Doppler was my sanity saver, it helped me get through the pregnancy. I hope you may soon relax and enjoy this journey more and more!
ReplyDeleteICLW #51
Hello, visiting from ICLW. From somebody who has lost twins at 24 weeks, and had an early miscarriage I completely understand your fear! My home doppler was a lifesaver during my last pregnancy with my son! Yes, you ARE pregnant! Easier said than done, but try to enjoy it. I spent most of my last pregnancy anxious and wish I had enjoyed it more. I look forward to following your pregnancy journey. Nice to meet you.
ReplyDeleteAmy
ICLW #52
Hi! I am visiting from ICLW. I feel like I could have written this post! I have suffered several losses and even at almost 16 weeks with this one, I still feel so anxious and uneasy about everything. It is so hard to get excited about something when you have been excited before and it was taken away in an instant. I agree with you and many of the other commenters, the Doppler has been amazing. It adds reassurance when I need it. I love listening to that little thumping sound. I hope the next few weeks bring you reassurance. I am definitely going to be following you from now on. I feel like we have a lot in common!
ReplyDeleteThanks for following -- it's exciting to finally have followers! You are on my RSS feed as well. It's also fun for me to follow people a few weeks ahead of me, so I know exactly what's coming. :-)
Delete